Shining a Light on DHG Alumna – McKenzie Shappley
McKenzie Shappley joined DHG as an intern in the DHG Birmingham office and grew her career to become an audit manager. After more than six years at DHG providing assurance services to privately-held companies in the retail and manufacturing industries, she is a member of the DHG Alumni Network. McKenzie was an emerging leader – progressing through audit leadership positions in banking. Today, she is the 2VP of Internal Audit at a leading life insurance company.
McKenzie shares how DHG helped shape and grow her career. Two DHG leaders also give their perspectives about how McKenzie contributed to positive client and team experiences.
“DHG provided a great platform to launch my career. Unlike the Big 4, where you may serve just one client, DHG allowed me to serve a variety of clients in a variety of industries. This increased my critical thinking and interpersonal skills and gave me the confidence to handle many different situations. I learned that if I can go from point A to B, I can also do D, E and F. Those are skills that are helpful in any path you choose to take.”
– McKenzie Shappley, 2VP of Internal Audit at Protective Life
“McKenzie came to us as an intern and it was immediately clear that she was a strong performer, with unique abilities in critical thinking and creating great client experiences. In addition, she was remarkably positive in her interactions with her teammates and with our clients, as her engaging and energetic attitude was always present. There was never a doubt that she was going to be very successful in whatever she did, and we are glad she is a great DHG alumna.”
– Tim York, Managing Partner – Industries and DHG Alumni Executive Partner
“McKenzie was an extremely valuable contributor in every way while at DHG. Smart, talented, and personable, she was an all-around high performer. She was a detailed problem solver that clients loved, and everyone internally wanted on their team. She had just the right mix of smarts and personality that made her effective and an absolute pleasure to work with. We are so very proud to have her in our DHG Alumni Network.”
– Denny Ard, DHG Solutions Lab Leader
Get to Know McKenzie:
• McKenzie joined DHG’s Birmingham office in 2004 upon graduating from Birmingham Southern College. She interned at DHG and later progressed to manager over time.
• In 2011, she joined Regions Bank, where she worked in internal audit, initially auditing accounting, vendor risk management, and liquidity. Eventually she transitioned to lead the department’s Professional Practices team.
• In 2018, McKenzie became an audit director at Protective Life Insurance Company, a 110-year-old insurer with 3,000 people, $121 billion in assets and $980 billion of life insurance in force.
• She expresses gratitude to her past DHG colleagues, Jennifer Delawrence, who taught her how to audit; to Denny Ard, who showed her how one can be genuine, funny and still be successful; and also to Butch Williams and Tim York for hiring her and making that positive first step in her career.
• McKenzie maintains friendships with a several DHG people and alumni, including Jessica McAllister, who McKenzie hired at both Regions and Protective, and Debbie Long, this longstanding relationship proves that audit and tax people can be friends.